Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsPoetry and Inspirational › Something we all should think about................
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Something we all should think about................ (Read 1,799 times)
nanny
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Something we all should think about................
05/05/08 at 23:38:07
Print Post  
Received in an email today...................

Too many people put off something that brings them joy just
because they haven't thought about it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.

I got to thinking one day about all those people on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.

How many women out there will eat at home because their
husband didn't suggest going out to dinner until after something had been thawed? Does the word 'refrigeration'
mean nothing to you?

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, 'How
about going to lunch in a half hour?' She would gas up and
stammer, 'I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is
dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast,
It looks like rain.' And my personal favorite: 'It's Monday.' She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because we cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches.. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get Johnny
toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get
shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer.

One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our
lives is a litany of 'I'm going to,' 'I plan on,' and 'Someday, when things are settled down a bit.'

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open
to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind
on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Roller blades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice
cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now..go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT
to......not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were
going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?

Make sure you read this to the end; you will understand why
I sent this to you.

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or
listened to the rain lapping on the ground? Ever followed a
butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask 'How are you?' Do you hear the reply ?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next
hundred chores running through your head?

Ever told your child, 'We'll do it tomorrow.' And in your haste, not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die?

Just call to say 'Hi' ?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an
unopened gift....Thrown away.... Life is not a race. Take it
slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Re: Something we all should think about................
Reply #1 - 05/05/08 at 23:48:24
Print Post  
So true, and something that became clear to me in my early sobriety.  Visiting a couple of relatives in the hospital dying of cancer back then, I learned from my conversations with them, that most people seem to only get in touch with, what is most important to them; when they know they are on their death bed.

They question why they didn't do certain things they wanted to do.  It had seemed some fear held them back all those years, but when it becomes clear what's important to them in lyfe in the end, they wonder why they denied themselves.   

Strange you posting this, as I had just been thinking some things that came to mynd whyle watching a program....how in the end....they say it's a wink of an eye, despyte how long one's lyfe may have felt to them.   It's easy for me today to reminisce on my younger days and then realyze where I am today, and it still boggles the mynd how all these years have passed by, seemingly
too fast or something.

So since those early days from those visits, along with the messages I have tuned into when I go to meetings and listen, I have been trying to keep grasp of, one day at a tyme, what's important to me today, and cherish it whyle I am able because one of those lessons I learned in AA also, is.....no one is promised tomorrow.

Thanks for "Passing It On", Nanny!  Smiley

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

jrp
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #2 - 05/06/08 at 00:06:10
Print Post  
Thanks for the reminder, nanny, I fear Im guilty of some of those things listed.

IP Logged

bonnieblue
CF Presidents Club

God Bless Texas

Reply #3 - 05/06/08 at 08:25:32
Print Post  
This is great, nanny. Today is yesterday's tomorrow. I am so guilty of putting things off. This should be an eye-opener to many people. I'm gonna try harder.......... Wink

IP Logged

commonsense
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/06/08 at 08:56:48
Print Post  
Thanks for passing this on, nanny, I'm guilty of some of those things too.  Kiss

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Reply #5 - 05/06/08 at 09:27:14
Print Post  
bonnieblue wrote on 05/06/08 at 08:25:32:
This is great, nanny. Today is yesterday's tomorrow.  I am so guilty of putting things off. This should be an eye-opener to many people. I'm gonna try harder.......... Wink

That does it.  Youse guys are all on double secret probation.  Tongue Cheesy

Remynded me of an old Heep song.

This is one group I am sorry I never got to see lyve.  Would you believe they still make new CD's?  Still have a few original members. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDKd7gOqWE

Unfortunately, they lost two of their members in the past...
lead singer, David Byron, who died from his alcoholism in mid '80's
and bassist, Gary Thain, who was electrocuted on stage and succumbed to his addiction from prescription drug use afterwards.

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

Miss_Kitty
CF Presidents Club

God is Great, Beer is
Good and People are Crazy�

Reply #6 - 05/06/08 at 10:57:59
Print Post  
Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die?

This is the one that plagues me.   I really regret that I lost touch with my highschool friends, and my military friends over the years.   I moved, they moved, we lost addresses and phone numbers and name chanages and all of that stuff.   I really wish I could find them,  but unfortunately the years are affecting my memory and I can't remember enough including last names to try to find them.    So sad.    Sad

IP Logged

ladygellin
Forum Moderator

Texas does the body good!

Reply #7 - 05/06/08 at 11:12:15
Print Post  

Well, I guess we are all guilty of those things. And being reminded is a good thing. It makes us more aware so that we can change that bad habit of putting off till tomorrow what we should do today - have lunch with a friend, call a family member, hug your child, listen to your grandchildren, stay in touch with those you care most about, make a new friend. Turn off that TV and visit with your kids. Take your husband or wife out to dinner at least once a week. Enjoy what life has to offer b/4 life has passed you by. You never know what is waiting around the corner, that's for sure. Kiss

Thanks nanny.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsPoetry and Inspirational › Something we all should think about................

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias