Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsMilitary Discussion › Another Military Rite
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another Military Rite (Read 950 times)
EldonH
CF Vice Presidents Club

Get 'er done.

Another Military Rite
07/14/08 at 14:12:27
Print Post  
I just got back from another Military Last Rites Ceremony. This one was Army 1969-71, died from cancer. In two weeks we have had four, which is unusual for this rural area. The other three were WWII.

This one was a little different. It kind of reflected different phases of his life.

A horse drawn hearse delivered the body. An old-fashioned hell-fire preacher did the service. A bunch of Amish sang "Amazing Grace". Some hippy-type guitar players sang "I'll Fly Away" The Military Rites were done by a combination of AMVETS, American Legion, an VFW Veterans.

The Buckhorn Cemetery was on a steep hill and was started in the 1840's by pioneers. There once was a town nearby.

I'll remember this one quite a while.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they made a difference.  Marines don't have that problem."  Ronald Reagan USMC 1968-69

IP Logged

elephant0407
CF Vice Presidents Club

I Love the Conservative's
Forum!

Re: Another Military Rite
Reply #1 - 07/14/08 at 17:20:22
Print Post  
EldonH wrote on 07/14/08 at 14:12:27:
I just got back from another Military Last Rites Ceremony. This one was Army 1969-71, died from cancer. In two weeks we have had four, which is unusual for this rural area. The other three were WWII.

This one was a little different. It kind of reflected different phases of his life.

A horse drawn hearse delivered the body. An old-fashioned hell-fire preacher did the service. A bunch of Amish sang "Amazing Grace". Some hippy-type guitar players sang "I'll Fly Away" The Military Rites were done by a combination of AMVETS, American Legion, an VFW Veterans.

The Buckhorn Cemetery was on a steep hill and was started in the 1840's by pioneers. There once was a town nearby.

I'll remember this one quite a while.

This must have been what he wanted - I'm glad he got what he wanted and deserved. Smiley  God bless his family and may he rest in peace. Smiley

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

IP Logged

gorknoids
CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #2 - 07/21/08 at 19:44:14
Print Post  
Friday before last we buried my Dad, literally a stones-throw from the St. Lawrence River, and his American Legion brothers conducted the ceremony. 
     Dad was a Water Tender striker when D-Day happened, and made multiple trips to the beach as a crewman on landing craft.  The summer after I made Chief we were up home on leave, and I got up early to get the coffee on and have a little peace and quiet before everyone else got up.  It was June 6th, and I was reading the paper on the front porch.
     Dad came out, saw what I was reading, and gave me about 7 minutes of what he felt I needed to know about his experience at Normandy, and then went back in the house.  First and last time he ever mentioned it, and I didn't say a damned word while he was talking. 
     As I walked down the ranks of the American Legion Honor Guard Friday morning, and saluted and thanked each of them, I had that morning in my mind.  Those glorious, horrible, formative times in their lives which brought them together to honor the service and life of a brother, and to keep the memory and value of shared sacrifice alive for all to see. 
     And, I realized that retirement from the military is not a removal from it, nor a reason to distance one's self from it.

IP Logged

elephant0407
CF Vice Presidents Club

I Love the Conservative's
Forum!

Reply #3 - 07/21/08 at 22:03:34
Print Post  
gorknoids wrote on 07/21/08 at 19:44:14:
Friday before last we buried my Dad, literally a stones-throw from the St. Lawrence River, and his American Legion brothers conducted the ceremony.
Dad was a Water Tender striker when D-Day happened, and made multiple trips to the beach as a crewman on landing craft. The summer after I made Chief we were up home on leave, and I got up early to get the coffee on and have a little peace and quiet before everyone else got up. It was June 6th, and I was reading the paper on the front porch.
Dad came out, saw what I was reading, and gave me about 7 minutes of what he felt I needed to know about his experience at Normandy, and then went back in the house. First and last time he ever mentioned it, and I didn't say a damned word while he was talking.
As I walked down the ranks of the American Legion Honor Guard Friday morning, and saluted and thanked each of them, I had that morning in my mind. Those glorious, horrible, formative times in their lives which brought them together to honor the service and life of a brother, and to keep the memory and value of shared sacrifice alive for all to see.
And, I realized that retirement from the military is not a removal from it, nor a reason to distance one's self from it.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad Cry  I'm glad you have the memories especially the one mentioned above  Smiley
My hubby's got 21 years and I can't imagine, even after retirement, distancing ourselves from the ones we know and love - after 21 years they become family.

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Reply #4 - 07/21/08 at 22:32:47
Print Post  
My condolences on your loss, Gorknoids.

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsMilitary Discussion › Another Military Rite

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias