Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsMilitary Discussion › Brainstorm - Our Past and Present Military on CF
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Brainstorm - Our Past and Present Military on CF (Read 29,645 times)
cecilbdml
CF Presidents Club

Semper Vigilis!

Re: Brainstorm - Our Past and Present Military on CF
Reply #130 - May 10th, 2012 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Since everyone else has been honest (as unclassifiedly possible) here, I guess it's my turn...

I joined the US Army under Rockin' Ronnie in early '87, became a 97BLRU (Counterintel/Counter Terror w/ Language--Russian), and did my duty until about 4 years after the fall of the wall.  Oh, if anyone wants an example of a family being bookends to an epoch of history, try this one on for size.

In 1956, my father finished OBC and became an intel officer.  He went to DLI, Monterey, and studied Russian.  He was then busy doing the deed in a certain german city until around 1962, when the wall was constructed.  THIRTY YEARS LATER, his son followed him on the enlisted side, going to the same Presidio for the same language, and...

...don't jump ahead, but you know what's coming...

...ended up in the same city as the wall began to come down!

Of course, on a more personal note, many of us in the intel community during that time were busy helping folks escape the cruel confines of the iron curtain.  One such, who shall remain nameless, almost ended up running interference with his life to ensure the safety of his family.  Brave person...we refused to allow him to stay behind...y'all know that whole goofy army thing about never leaving a man behind and all that...

TWENTY YEARS LATER, while working as a sales/customer and tech service type for Motosport, I received a call and greeted the caller.  I heard nothing on the other end of the line for around 10 seconds, and was about to hang up, thinking the connection was bad.  Then I heard,

"Vila?  VILA, IS THAT YOU?!"  It was our charge!

Twenty years after his escape, he remembered my voice.  Yes, folks, this turning-crunchy Cold Warrior teared up, as the gent on the other end did.

And they say war and military action doesn't do anything good...

Ride for those who no longer can,&&Live for those who showed you how.

IP Logged

Picker
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #131 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I was sitting in a barber's chair, listening to the radio.  The newscaster announced that the next day would be the last day for voluntary enlistment in the armed forces.  After that, you would have to wait until your name came up in the draft.
That afternoon, Dec 6, 1942, I walked down the street from the barber shop, and enlisted in the Army.  A week later, our troop train departed for Fort Devens for processing.  From there to Florida on a troop train, day coach, without any idea of where we were, or where we were going.
About a year of training and schooling, then to the UK in a huge convoy.  Two years of noncombat duty at airports, maintaining elctronic aids to air navigation, then back home.

We were transitioning from the Positive-to-Negative theory of electric current flow to the new Electron theory.  The Loop antenna Four Course Radio Range was the principle navaid, and the instrument landing system consisted of a table-mounted glide slope  transmitter.
While on the active reserve rolls, I went to Alaska to work, and shortly after arriving got military orders to report for active duty in the Korean War.  I wrote a letter saying that in two months I would be 26 years old, and would wait to hear further.  I then put a three cent stamp on it and mailed it from Naknek, Alaska.  They replied that I was exempted.  I never complained  again about the mail being slow.

IP Logged

FellowPatriot
CF Presidents Club

Another California Refugee-
Self Educated

Reply #132 - Jan 11th, 2015 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I just learned a thing or two about my Grand Father not that long ago.

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. He was on a 'Cruiser' ship named the U.S.S Honolulu. After surviving Pearl Harbor he was somewhere off one of the many Islands in the Philippines. He was down in the engine room late at night towards the end of his shift and soon was going to be relieved by a fellow sailor. The Sailor, because he could not sleep came 15 min early than he normally would.. Only Minutes after he had left a Japanese torpedo hit the engine room killing that sailor who had relieved him. This haunted my Grand Father the rest of his life.  

We have all heard of these stories before.

One more thing. Something was wrong with the ships propeller when they were somewhere in frigid waters.. The Captain was looking for a volunteer. My Grand Father volunteered and fixed the prop.

The Captain had a shot of Whisky ready for him.  Wink

* All Throughout our American history... " Ordinary people can do extraordinary things"
*"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"- Ayn Rand
*"In the beginning of a change the PATRIOT is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it cost nothing to be a patriot"- Mark Twain

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk is Cheep

Reply #133 - May 25th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Nyte_Byrd wrote on Nov 11th, 2009 at 9:47am:
To all our veterans, past and present, CF thanks you for the sacrifices made to defend the liberties that we enjoy today.  Cool

Freedom is not Free
by Ashley Persyn

There is a price we pay for freedom
For it is not truly free
But rather paid for by the contributions of veterans
To buy our liberty

As their blood drains from their body and runs like a river through the grass
Over the years it's forgotten, war is placed in our past

I don't think we all realize the importance veterans play
as they voluntarily serve America each and every day

We should honor the veterans for they act like a shield
Protecting us from danger, keeping America healed.

So if you would take a second to commemorate
You will instantly see

We owe veterans our gratitude
For they are the reason we are free.

Just wanted to bump this poem that was posted some years back
and maybe suggest some posters to peruse this thread of posters
(some present and some who no longer with us) who have served.
If any newer posters are veterans and have not posted to this thread, please honor us by adding something of your time in service.  Thanks.

If You're Here To Teach....Then You've Much To Learn.

IP Logged

SurfaceDog
CF Junior Member

Salty

Reply #134 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Hello, new member here. I just joined and I'm in the process of just reading the various posts & threads, but I saw this and wanted to respond.

I'm a retired Naval Officer with 24 years of service as both enlisted and commissioned. I was a Surface Warfare Officer with service on seven different ships and shore duty involving tactics development and program management.

I hope to get to know many of you better, and I look forward to participating in this forum.

If I had to describe myself with one word, it would be "Doesn't understand directions."

IP Logged

SurfaceDog
CF Junior Member

Salty

Reply #135 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
FellowPatriot wrote on Jan 11th, 2015 at 11:58am:
I just learned a thing or two about my Grand Father not that long ago.

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. He was on a 'Cruiser' ship named the U.S.S Honolulu. After surviving Pearl Harbor he was somewhere off one of the many Islands in the Philippines. He was down in the engine room late at night towards the end of his shift and soon was going to be relieved by a fellow sailor. The Sailor, because he could not sleep came 15 min early than he normally would.. Only Minutes after h&e had left a Japanese torpedo hit the engine room killing that sailor who had relieved him. This haunted my Grand Father the rest of his life.  

We have all heard of these stories before.

One more thing. Something was wrong with the ships propeller when they were somewhere in frigid waters.. The Captain was looking for a volunteer. My Grand Father volunteered and fixed the prop.

The Captain had a shot of Whisky ready for him.  Wink

Wow - my grandfather served in the Navy during WWII. He was a welder on a Destroyer Tender berthed at Pearl Harbor when the attack  occurred. He transferred to a DE three months later and managed to make it to a raft when his ship was sunk (the Tokyo Express).

He and 10 others washed up on the north shore of New Guinea and decided to trek across the island to the Allied side. Two weeks later the four survivors surrendered to a Japanes patrol, and he spent the rest of the war as a POW.

If I had to describe myself with one word, it would be "Doesn't understand directions."

IP Logged

Mack Painter
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #136 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
BigBill wrote on Jan 13th, 2009 at 7:39pm:
So I stayed in school until I graduated in '65 and then enlisted in the Air Force (the idea of being on a big boat scared the hell out of me - so no Navy).

Don't know if BigBill is still around but...

Listening to my father talking about being camped out in 56" of snow (the snow did not get deeper over the years, so I do not think he was exaggerating) in Western Germany in 1945 made being on a big boat seem like a pretty good deal. I joined the Navy in 1982.

IP Logged

Mack Painter
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #137 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Any WACS, WAVES or WASPS among us? My mother was in the WAAC when they were converted to regular army shortly after she joined in 1943. She served until 1946.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsMilitary Discussion › Brainstorm - Our Past and Present Military on CF

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
Recent conservative sites added:
Breitbart News
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
FrontPage Magazine
Rasmussen Reports
David Limbaugh
American Conservative Union
Accuracy in Media