Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConstitutional Issues › The Powers of Congress.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Powers of Congress. (Read 12,893 times)
arch51
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: The Powers of Congress.
Reply #10 - 04/27/12 at 10:08:37
Print Post  
Shooterman wrote on 04/26/12 at 20:26:48:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

I like this one...they have interpretted it to mean that they can fund the NEA... ridiculous interpretation.

IP Logged

Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Reply #11 - 04/27/12 at 10:21:52
Print Post  
arch51 wrote on 04/27/12 at 10:08:37:
I like this one...they have interpretted it to mean that they can fund the NEA... ridiculous interpretation.

Arch, my entire purpose was to give the 'modern day needs of interpretation' crowd, every chance to show us ( me ) how they can justify many of the actions, they, as so called conservatives, believe and agitate for. Some call me a liberal, because of my stance on issues, but can not show me, or have not shown me, exactly those points I am liberal on. I thought this might prompt a few to give it their best shot. Alas, it seems he that wishes to call me liberal, is having none of it. The challenge is there. Show me what should be 'modernly interpreted' and why?

Our Bill of Rights constitutes a cluster of little foxholes of liberty ground into the hard cold face of history by helpless men for a shield against the lash of tyrants. They are the result of distrust of power and distrust of men in power. They are a recognition of Lord Acton's statement of a truth eternal--"power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."R. CARTER PITTMAN&&Dalton, Ga., Sept. 28, 1955.DRAFT JAN MORGAN FOR PRESIDENT!

IP Logged

arch51
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #12 - 04/27/12 at 10:27:04
Print Post  
personally, I don't believe that the Constitution needs to be "modernly interpreted", other than to include such things as the internet into frreedom of the press.

IP Logged

Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Reply #13 - 04/27/12 at 10:31:47
Print Post  
arch51 wrote on 04/27/12 at 10:27:04:
personally, I don't believe that the Constitution needs to be "modernly interpreted", other than to include such things as the internet into frreedom of the press.

Unfortunately, Arch, those like us are in the minority.

Our Bill of Rights constitutes a cluster of little foxholes of liberty ground into the hard cold face of history by helpless men for a shield against the lash of tyrants. They are the result of distrust of power and distrust of men in power. They are a recognition of Lord Acton's statement of a truth eternal--"power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."R. CARTER PITTMAN&&Dalton, Ga., Sept. 28, 1955.DRAFT JAN MORGAN FOR PRESIDENT!

IP Logged

duster
CF Presidents Club

Thanks Cavvet, cool sig
banner

Reply #14 - 04/27/12 at 10:54:27
Print Post  
The primary reason our constitution has worked so well for so long is that it's the only system of govrnment in history that considers human nature.  Something today's power brokers choose to ignore.

Intellectual: Uses more words than necessary to tell you more than he knows

IP Logged

1goofball
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #15 - 04/27/12 at 18:33:49
Print Post  

I need some definitions.

It says,
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years

That reads to me that you can't use taxpayer money to fund a war lasting longer than 2 years?  What does it mean?

and

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States

This seems to say congress has power to regulate or oversee or helpout in bankruptcies? To me this would mean they could bailout CA or any other state, but last year I kept hearing government couldn't do that.

No matter which way the wind blows, I will stand behind Islam - Barry "the idiot" Obummer -This country is not a Christian nation! - Barack Insane Obummer - Liberalism works by manipulating the weak-minded through self-hatred.

IP Logged

terry
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/27/12 at 18:49:06
Print Post  
1goofball wrote on 04/27/12 at 18:33:49:
I need some definitions.

It says,
To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years

That reads to me that you can't use taxpayer money to fund a war lasting longer than 2 years?  What does it mean?

and

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States

This seems to say congress has power to regulate or oversee or helpout in bankruptcies? To me this would mean they could bailout CA or any other state, but last year I kept hearing government couldn't do that.

They can't and won't because it's too much of a risk to our entire economic foundation.  Some believe they should allow states to file.

IP Logged

cj_real_american
CF Presidents Club

Smitty Kitty is my boss.

Reply #17 - 04/28/12 at 15:10:39
Print Post  
Shooter I just had to bump this, it's so important, and so few realize that Congress has very limited power.  Wink  I'm not referring to anyone, just thought some may want to copy this and give it to a school kid today.  Wink  We have several copies of the Constitution and we have given out volumes so that people can educated themselves.

IP Logged

jrc99
CF Vice Presidents Club

Isaiah 41:10

Reply #18 - 04/28/12 at 17:49:27
Print Post  
Shooterman wrote on 04/26/12 at 20:26:48:
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

With respect, I can see where this might give the NOTION of foreign aid because in retrospect there is commerce that comes with it.  Just saying.

But to be fair I don't think the Founding Father's thought we would become a Super Power, once again just saying. Smiley

IP Logged

Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Reply #19 - 04/28/12 at 18:35:06
Print Post  
jrc99 wrote on 04/28/12 at 17:49:27:
With respect, I can see where this might give the NOTION of foreign aid because in retrospect there is commerce that comes with it.  Just saying.

Congress and SCOTUS have bastardized the Commerce Clause to include a plethora of things the Founders never envisioned or intended. I don't believe foreign aid was one of them.

Quote:
But to be fair I don't think the Founding Father's thought we would become a Super Power, once again just saying. Smiley

I am quite sure you are correct. The Founders were learned men and knew the pitfalls every large Empire had gotten involved in and how they had been brought to their knees.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConstitutional Issues › The Powers of Congress.

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias