Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsCooking, Crafts and Home Decorating › Sour Dough Bread
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sour Dough Bread (Read 3,555 times)
Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Sour Dough Bread
11/01/12 at 16:06:34
Print Post  
Starter
1 cup flour
1cup water ( I use warm- helps activate the yeast quicker )
1/2 cup sugar
1 pkg yeast

When staring from scratch, as much as I make, I double the recipe twice, so I am mixing 4 cups flour, 4 water, 2 sugar and 2 pkgs yeast. A little yeast goes a long way.

Making Bread

What I have found to work well for me, after a lot of trial and error.

1 1/2 cups of starter

1 1/2 cups of warm water

1/2 cup of good grade cooking oil

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon salt

6-10 cups of flour

Shortening

Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, adding flour, at least 8 cups, maybe more, depending on how close you measure the water and starter, of all purpose flour. Mix and knead until the consistency is such that when poking a finger into it, the resultant hole doesn't immediately close up.

Separate into 3 large loaves or 4 small ones. Grease the bread pans with shortening and the outside of the loaves. Put in the pans, cover with a hand towel or clean cloth, and depending on the house temp, let rise overnight. It may take longer. The warmer the spot, the better rise. Cook about 40 to 60 minutes or so or until the aroma causes your tongue to slap your forehead, at 350 degrees starting from a cold oven. You will find, depending on how fast your over cooks, that 40 minutes is too long as a rule.

Another do. If you are in possession of a Kitchen Aide mixer, it can save a lot of work. We had the five quart KA mixer, but it wouldn't handle the heavy dough. For my birthday 2 or 3 years ago, she bought her the heavy duty 6 quart. With the dough hook and the setting on 2 ( never more ) it will mix and kneed the 8 cups in about 10 minutes, saving a lot of wear and tear on arthritic finger and hands. The drawback is not being able to use more than 8 cups of flour- the motor won't stand the stress. Of course if you have the super duper commercial quality, it will mix the world.

Still, with the KA, we can do a double batch in about 30 to 40 minutes or so.

By hand will take one batch about 40 to 45 minutes.

These are the ideas that work well for me after about 35 or 40 years of making sour dough bread. Much work, much pleasure.

Anything taste better with Shooterman's World Famous Sour Dough Bread.

Made with love and affection as it is an old recipe handed down from generation unto generation. I believe my Dad, may God rest his soul, took it from and old Redbook or Readers Digest and gave it to me. I always think of him when making the sour dough.

BTW, and online search and perusal will show hundreds of sourdough recipes.

Enjoy friends

Posted at the request of Wayne.

Some things to look for; as the starter ferments, the yeast causes thousands of little gas bubbles to to rise. That is a good sign as it means the starter is working well. Also, when first mixing the starter ingredients, the flour will have a tendency to lump. Using a wooden spoon, squash the larger lumps against the sides of the bowl, always using the edge of the spoon to rim around the liquid line. Do this several times every so often, at first to make sure the consistency of the starter is uniform. Makes a big difference in making the bread.

Keep the bowl lightly covered so escaping gasses will have a way to get out. The starter, usually during the holidays stays on the kitchen counter. It can be refrigerated as long as it is charged ever so often. My experience is the cold will kill the process, so mine stays out. If not stirred for several days, the solids settle out, leaving a golden colored liquor on the surface. Stir vigorously then, maybe even adding fresh started.

Our Bill of Rights constitutes a cluster of little foxholes of liberty ground into the hard cold face of history by helpless men for a shield against the lash of tyrants. They are the result of distrust of power and distrust of men in power. They are a recognition of Lord Acton's statement of a truth eternal--"power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."R. CARTER PITTMAN&&Dalton, Ga., Sept. 28, 1955.DRAFT JAN MORGAN FOR PRESIDENT!

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: Sour Dough Bread
Reply #1 - 11/01/12 at 19:03:38
Print Post  

How long do you let the brand new starter mix bubble and ferment before using it to make bread?

Sounds delicious!

IP Logged

Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 20:19:32
Print Post  
Chortovka wrote on 11/01/12 at 19:03:38:
How long do you let the brand new starter mix bubble and ferment before using it to make bread?

Sounds delicious!

The original recipe says to charge, wait three days and charge again, then bread can hopefully be made the next day. I push mine by hitting it hard with yeast the first day. This time, I made a light charge the second day. ( no additional yeast ) Today, I hammered it good with ingredients, just looked a few minutes ago and it looks great. I may make bread tomorrow, or at least on Saturday.

My advice is to play it by the book the first time you make it; i.e. charge, stir for three days, charge, then hopefully make bread the next day. A little advice; if the area is cool, it will not rise very quickly, so try to keep it in a warm place. I have made loaves that looked like a brick and was almost as hard. It just takes time to acquire a feel. Another piece of advice. The original recipe called for kneading the dough, then letting it rise and re-kneading. Every time I did that, it killed the loaf, so now once the kneading by the dough hook is done, I will work it a little to get it consistent, then break it up into loaves and it is usually good to go.

One other piece of advice. The oil is used to make the bread, but any oil by mistake in the starter will kill it. Throw it out and start over.

Our Bill of Rights constitutes a cluster of little foxholes of liberty ground into the hard cold face of history by helpless men for a shield against the lash of tyrants. They are the result of distrust of power and distrust of men in power. They are a recognition of Lord Acton's statement of a truth eternal--"power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."R. CARTER PITTMAN&&Dalton, Ga., Sept. 28, 1955.DRAFT JAN MORGAN FOR PRESIDENT!

IP Logged

duster
CF Presidents Club

Thanks Cavvet, cool sig
banner

Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 21:30:27
Print Post  
I've been using the same starter for over 2 years now. It's only getting better. I feed it with flour and sugar for a couple of days before using it. It's a wild yeast starter, very active. I've tried several recipies, most pretty good, but will try shooters next time.
I always kneed by hand and test the dough with the "window Paine" test. Seems to work well.
A good place to speed up the rise is on the oven with only the light on.  Gives just enough heat.

Intellectual: Uses more words than necessary to tell you more than he knows

IP Logged

Jennnay
CF Vice Presidents Club

I'm a card carrying member
of the Craftsman Club!!

Reply #4 - 11/02/12 at 05:26:24
Print Post  
has anyone made sourdough out of 100% whole wheat (brown) flour. with no white flour added?

And I'm also curious about german sour rye bread (no caraway seed) .  I understand it's also made with a starter....

IP Logged

cj_real_american
CF Presidents Club

Smitty Kitty is my boss.

Reply #5 - 11/02/12 at 11:07:14
Print Post  
always kneed by hand and test the dough with the "window Paine" test. Seems to work well

Hmmmm, is this a good Christmas idea????

Is that what your doing when you hold some dough up to the light in the window? Well, there ya go hon, shooter laid it all out for ya. But, you have never done yours in a pan.

shooter does it matter if you use a glass or metal pan? I've always heard glass, but in the bakery they used metal. (???)

IP Logged

Shooterman
CF Presidents Club

Dum spiro pugno

Reply #6 - 11/02/12 at 11:27:37
Print Post  
cj_real_american wrote on 11/02/12 at 11:07:14:
always kneed by hand and test the dough with the "window Paine" test. Seems to work well

Hmmmm, is this a good Christmas idea????

Is that what your doing when you hold some dough up to the light in the window? Well, there ya go hon, shooter laid it all out for ya. But, you have never done yours in a pan.

shooter does it matter if you use a glass or metal pan? I've always heard glass, but in the bakery they used metal. (???)

Either type works.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #7 - 11/02/12 at 16:59:47
Print Post  

When the company shuts down for the holidays and I have some time at home, I am definitely going to try this recipe.    Thanks!

IP Logged

chefplr
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #8 - 11/02/12 at 22:56:29
Print Post  
Shooterman, that gold colored liquid you see is actually alcohol.  It comes from the fermentation process.  Pour it off or mix it back in for an even more "sour" dough.  I always mix it in.  You can actually freeze sourdough starter.  It will not kill the yeast but put it in deep hibernation.  It must be recharged before using it again.

IF CONSERVATIVES HAVE A WAR ON WOMEN THEN WHY ARE THERE "RAPE FREE ZONES" AT OWS EVENTS AND NOT NEEDED AT TEA PARTY RALLIES?

IP Logged

Gabriele
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #9 - 11/16/12 at 17:04:00
Print Post  
Okay, stupid question time.  What do you mean by "charging"?  Please don't laugh.  I've never made bread before and I really want to try this.  My mom gave me starter for some kind of bread once, but I used a metal spoon to stir it and I killed it.   So I guess you can only use wooden spoons?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsCooking, Crafts and Home Decorating › Sour Dough Bread

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias