Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Proposed Legislation Will Do Away With Congressional Pensions
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Proposed Legislation Will Do Away With Congressional Pensions (Read 2,136 times)
Ex Member

Proposed Legislation Will Do Away With Congressional Pensions
02/03/15 at 13:01:21
Print Post  
Rep. Ron DeSantis, (R) FL has proposed legislation that would deny pensions to any member of congress not yet vested in the plan and all future members of congress:

“The Founding Fathers envisioned elected officials as part of a servant class, yet Washington has evolved into a ruling class culture,” says Mr. DeSantis. “Pensions for members of Congress represent an inappropriate use of taxpayer money, especially when the idea of a pension in the private sector is fast becoming a relic from a bygone era.”

Lawmakers are eligible for a pension upon reaching 62 if they have at least 5 years of service, at age fifty with 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service.  The average pension for the over 600 congressional retirees currently collecting a pension is $42,048 to $$71,664 a year, depending on their pension plan and time of service.

Co-sponsors of the bill include: Reps. Rod Blum of Iowa, Trey Gowdy and Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina, Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Reid Ribble of Wisconsin.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2015/02/03/proposed-legislation-will-away-congressi...

IP Logged

the outlaw mortarman
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: Proposed Legislation Will Do Away With Congressional Pensions
Reply #1 - 02/03/15 at 13:24:11
Print Post  
Butt some of these critters who are going to be drawing these pensions are career politicians. They spent their whole lives in gubmint jobs so they wouldn't have to work for a living. How will they survive on Social Security when they get out. 'specially since they were the ones who gutted it in the first place.

Smiley

The only controls I want on my guns are the ones I operate by myself, such as safety, magazine release, bolt or slide, optics an' trigger. Any others are unnecessary.
the outlaw mortarman

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/03/15 at 13:31:19
Print Post  
the outlaw mortarman wrote on 02/03/15 at 13:24:11:
Butt some of these critters who are going to be drawing these pensions are career politicians. They spent their whole lives in gubmint jobs so they wouldn't have to work for a living. How will they survive on Social Security when they get out. 'specially since they were the ones who gutted it in the first place.

Smiley

Just like the rest of us.  Wink

IP Logged

andy144
CF Presidents Club

Conservatives Forum

Reply #3 - 02/03/15 at 13:56:22
Print Post  
Has zero chance of passing. People go into politics for money and influence. The professional politicians are not going to give up either.

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them which would include our government." George Washington "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.' H. L. Mencken "Common sense is not so common." Voltaire

IP Logged

Gabriele
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #4 - 02/03/15 at 15:18:46
Print Post  
I don't think they should be paid at all, never mind the pensions and the healthcare and all that good stuff. They do so much insider trading that none of them needs a salary or a pension. Although that needs to go too. On average, the House works less than 28 hours a week. That's a part-time job where I come from. You don't get healthcare and pensions when you work part-time.

IP Logged

Lily003
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #5 - 02/03/15 at 15:48:55
Print Post  
Gabriele wrote on 02/03/15 at 15:18:46:
I don't think they should be paid at all, never mind the pensions and the healthcare and all that good stuff. They do so much insider trading that none of them needs a salary or a pension. Although that needs to go too. On average, the House works less than 28 hours a week. That's a part-time job where I come from. You don't get healthcare and pensions when you work part-time.

They would say they WORK in their district when they are "home."

Lily003    Huh

IP Logged

Lily003
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #6 - 02/03/15 at 15:51:45
Print Post  
Quote:
Rep. Ron DeSantis, (R) FL has proposed legislation that would deny pensions to any member of congress not yet vested in the plan and all future members of congress:

“The Founding Fathers envisioned elected officials as part of a servant class, yet Washington has evolved into a ruling class culture,” says Mr. DeSantis. “Pensions for members of Congress represent an inappropriate use of taxpayer money, especially when the idea of a pension in the private sector is fast becoming a relic from a bygone era.”

Lawmakers are eligible for a pension upon reaching 62 if they have at least 5 years of service, at age fifty with 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service.  The average pension for the over 600 congressional retirees currently collecting a pension is $42,048 to $$71,664 a year, depending on their pension plan and time of service.

Co-sponsors of the bill include: Reps. Rod Blum of Iowa, Trey Gowdy and Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina, Thomas Massie of Kentucky and Reid Ribble of Wisconsin.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2015/02/03/proposed-legislation-will-away-congressi...

How about a provision revoking pensions for those CONVICTED of wrong doing related to their "service?"

Since I am in Illinois, I am thinking of former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., currently IN PRISON for stealing from campaign funds.  His wife is set to go to prison after Jesse so someone is around "for the children."  Wonder how many other partners in crime would get this consideration.

Lily003    Shocked

IP Logged

1goofball
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #7 - 02/04/15 at 03:40:06
Print Post  
andy144 wrote on 02/03/15 at 13:56:22:
Has zero chance of passing. People go into politics for money and influence. The professional politicians are not going to give up either.

ZERO

No matter which way the wind blows, I will stand behind Islam - Barry "the idiot" Obummer&&&&This country is not a Christian nation! - Barack Insane Obummer&&&&Liberalism works by manipulating the weak-minded through self-hatred.

IP Logged

FellowPatriot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/04/15 at 04:04:46
Print Post  

This kind of stuff reminds me of the 'Term limit' movement.
Remember that one?   It will be a cold day in HE>> when that happens.

Unless, reform starts outside of Gov because obviously, they can't do it themselves.

IP Logged

TrentDBU
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/04/15 at 04:24:10
Print Post  
Even if every single one of them was drawing maximum pension, it would be 42 million dollars. 

It sounds great.

I'd love it if we could maybe do something that's actually substantial instead.   

This is just one of those things that looks great on the campaign.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Proposed Legislation Will Do Away With Congressional Pensions

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias