Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsPoetry and Inspirational › Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness (Read 1,032 times)
Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk is Cheep

Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness
08/16/15 at 11:18:20
Print Post  
Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4424999895001/got-religion-study-finds-faith-is-the-k...

also....

How to rise above materialism and find true happiness. Honest.
By Robert Spitzer   Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/08/14/how-to-rise-above-materialism-and-find...

If You're Here To Teach....Then You've Much To Learn.

IP Logged

gabriel
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness
Reply #1 - 08/17/15 at 19:29:01
Print Post  

This is absolutely true, and it's why religion, not politics dominates my life. Politics just makes me angry, and I don't want to spend my life that way.

"I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they have turned to loving, they will find we are turned to hating."&&

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk is Cheep

Reply #2 - 08/17/15 at 23:41:21
Print Post  
gabriel wrote on 08/17/15 at 19:29:01:
,,,, and I don't want to spend my life that way.

I felt that same way about striving to obtain financial wealth playing
the stock market.  Never really bothered with it like I've seen some
others obsessed with it.  What caught my attention, was news reports
repeatedly using the terms 'nervous, anxious and edgy' investors.

Somehow I thought I did not want to create any more emotional smoke in my life than I already had to deal with.   Smiley

But through the Promises of AA, I have not had to deal with 'financial insecurity' for quite some time now.   And although AA is not considered a religious program, through the spiritual principles, I have seen many come to believe in God, nonetheless.  I was at an AA Convention last week, and one speaker (in somewhat a joking manner) brought out an important detail.  He was impressing how the spiritual principles actually derived many, many decades before AA even came along, and he said it is quite arrogant of some AA members at meetings who share sometimes....."Boy, those people outside of the rooms SURE could use these principles in their lives."  Then with a Richard Pryor like comedy end line he stated, it was outside of these rooms that these principles actually came from.  Wink

What saddened me once long ago about the program and the need
to 'practice these principles in all our affairs' was when it dawned on me, that people there had to 'practice' these things, and it didn't come natural or were against the grain.   Undecided

But for those who do succeed in having that spiritual awakening, and they realize that no human power can relieve them of their alcoholism,
many, many, people in the program have grown to see fulfillment of
more than reasonable happiness in their lives.  And for anyone who has been in recovery for some time, may have forgot what it was like
when they were new.......and are looking to remember?  Try sponsoring some new people.  It will come back REAL fast.   Cheesy

The reward comes from the giving.  Cool  I'm just grateful, He gave
me another chance to do this thing called LIFE, a better way than I used to.  

I'm sure there are people, also, who have found happiness without
need for religion in their life, but I do believe, that (as the study indicates), more people seem to live it when faith is in their life.

IP Logged

gabriel
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #3 - 08/18/15 at 14:34:22
Print Post  

Byrdie, I'm glad AA has been so good for you, helping you take control of your life.  I don't know a great deal about AA but I think it might be very easy for someone who believes in the 12 spiritual principles to eventually understand that he's really accepting the principles of religion.  Specifically that man is weak, needs to admit his complete inability to control his weaknesses (sin),  that a higher power is needed for redemption, and, maybe most important, redemption means a radically and permanently changed life.

None of this is easy for either a man in church or a man in AA, but, in both cases it's something that needs to be done in community.  We can't stay on the right path by ourselves.

"I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they have turned to loving, they will find we are turned to hating."&&

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk is Cheep

Reply #4 - 08/18/15 at 15:55:54
Print Post  
gabriel wrote on 08/18/15 at 14:34:22:
I don't know a great deal about AA.

From what you have explained, you probably know more about AA
than you realize.  Wink  The principles of AA were taken from the Oxford
Group, which came before AA, and was considered a religious (I believe Christian) group.  And the end result of working the steps, other than contributing members to have that needed spiritual
awakening (reborn, if you will) is to establish a relationship with their
higher power.   I know they say "God as you understand Him" and they choose to call Him God, well, to me that's as synonymous as
saying "I have a mother whom I choose to call Mom."

To some, God, in early goings, can be Good Orderly Direction or even
a Group Of Drunks.   Smiley  

It came simpler to me when I realized I really had to know only a few things concerning God.   There is One, and I am not Him.   Cheesy
And the difference between Him and I is, He never pretends to be me.  Cheesy

It's a shame there are some disgruntled anti-AA authors on YouTube who seem to be on some endless vendetta, because AA did not seem to work for them.  It seems to be a thorn in their side that it does work for enough people that makes it worth existing.  I can only assume for some it's like 'misery loves company' that they obsess
with trying to bring AA down.  The good thing about AA as a whole,
when they are attacked, their defense is 'silence' because they have
no need to defend what they know already works.

It is true, those who have tried AA and couldn't 'get it' simply meant
they were not willing to do what it takes.  But then again, sobriety, like growing older, is not for wimps either.  Smiley 
« Last Edit: 08/18/15 at 17:39:29 by Nyte_Byrd »  

IP Logged

nanny
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/27/15 at 09:07:36
Print Post  
Nyte_Byrd wrote on 08/18/15 at 15:55:54:
It's a shame there are some disgruntled anti-AA authors on YouTube who seem to be on some endless vendetta, because AA did not seem to work for them.  It seems to be a thorn in their side that it does work for enough people that makes it worth existing.  I can only assume for some it's like 'misery loves company' that they obsess
with trying to bring AA down.  The good thing about AA as a whole,
when they are attacked, their defense is 'silence' because they have
no need to defend what they know already works.

It is true, those who have tried AA and couldn't 'get it' simply meant
they were not willing to do what it takes.  But then again, sobriety, like growing older, is not for wimps either.  Smiley 

byrd I think you are so right with the above statement. People want it but not able or do not want to try and we can remember from his word, "

Luke 13:23-24 (KJV)

23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,

24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.   Undecided Undecided

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsPoetry and Inspirational › Got religion? Study finds faith is the key to happiness

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
Recent conservative sites added:
Breitbart News
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
FrontPage Magazine
Rasmussen Reports
David Limbaugh
American Conservative Union
Accuracy in Media