Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsTrump Economy › 'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately (Read 168 times)
Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk is Cheep

'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately
01/27/17 at 19:06:59
Print Post  
FoxNews.com

"Can you hear me?" Police in several states are urging people to avoid answering this simple question from a phone number they do not know.

Authorities in Virginia say the question is aimed at getting unsuspecting victims to say "yes" -- an answer the frauster then records as a way to authorize charges on a phone, utility or credit card bill.

The scam is a variation of one that began late last year, according to law enforcement.

"You say 'yes,' it gets recorded and they say that you have agreed to something,” Susan Grant, director of consumer protection and privacy for the Consumer Federation of America, told CBS News. “I know that people think it’s impolite to hang up, but it’s a good strategy.”

more

There's more and more spam calls now, where they use recordings to ask how you are doing, deceiving you into believing you are listening to a live person.  Seems the DoNotCall list doesn't do much good anymore, and the same telemarketers just come in on different lines so blocking the numbers isn't that much helpful either.

If You're Here To Teach....Then You've Much To Learn.

IP Logged

ScorchedEarth
CF Full Member

Re: 'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately
Reply #1 - 01/28/17 at 23:10:20
Print Post  
Nyte_Byrd wrote on 01/27/17 at 19:06:59:
FoxNews.com

"Can you hear me?" Police in several states are urging people to avoid answering this simple question from a phone number they do not know.

Authorities in Virginia say the question is aimed at getting unsuspecting victims to say "yes" -- an answer the frauster then records as a way to authorize charges on a phone, utility or credit card bill.

The scam is a variation of one that began late last year, according to law enforcement.

"You say 'yes,' it gets recorded and they say that you have agreed to something,” Susan Grant, director of consumer protection and privacy for the Consumer Federation of America, told CBS News. “I know that people think it’s impolite to hang up, but it’s a good strategy.”

more

There's more and more spam calls now, where they use recordings to ask how you are doing, deceiving you into believing you are listening to a live person.  Seems the DoNotCall list doesn't do much good anymore, and the same telemarketers just come in on different lines so blocking the numbers isn't that much helpful either.

Theres an easy and simple solution...Caller ID...Don't answer the phone unless you know who it is. If your display reads "Private" or "Unlisted" or its a number you don't recognize, then simply don't answer.

IP Logged

UCAV
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: 'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately
Reply #2 - 01/29/17 at 03:10:58
Print Post  
That logic won't work, especially with older people.  If it would people wouldn't get computer viruses either.  It's like true/false questions on a test.  They don't prove you know the material, they prove you are human and can be easily fooled.

"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsTrump Economy › 'Can you hear me?' scam has police urging people to hang up immediately

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
Recent conservative sites added:
Breitbart News
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
FrontPage Magazine
Rasmussen Reports
David Limbaugh
American Conservative Union
Accuracy in Media