Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Christmas with a Liberal
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Christmas with a Liberal (Read 3,502 times)
mikezpen
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Re: Christmas with a Liberal
Reply #30 - 12/28/17 at 02:01:45
Print Post  
When I get together w/my daughter and son-in-law we have an unwritten rule to not talk politics. My wife and I are Trump supporters and they and their friends are all college-educated millennials.Say no more.

IP Logged

cj_real_american
CF Presidents Club

Smitty Kitty is my boss.

Reply #31 - 12/28/17 at 02:03:52
Print Post  
Wayne wrote on 12/27/17 at 17:40:00:

There should be a good stiff drink for everyone having to put up with a Liberal.  Thank goodness I don't, but I'd like to think:  Family is family and once they're gone, it won't make any difference what they were, or were not.

IP Logged

Midwest
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #32 - 12/28/17 at 02:26:04
Print Post  
I had something similar happen to me. My brother and, to some degree, one other cousin would be correctly said to lean left. This isn't necessarily a bad thing it's just that their arguments have a lot to be desired.

It's my brother who tends to bring up politics, spew something anti-Trump (e.g., Why can't someone take one for the team and assassinate Trump?) while my cousin "has issues" with libertarians (I wonder what he thinks of conservatives). The latter states being a person of color is difficult in rural Pennsylvania as a doctoral student at Penn St. Maybe so. I asked for specific examples. He followed up saying that his next door neighbor was a white supremacist, as if acting "rural" was some sort of a crime aka not fixing up his property in a timely fashion, and that there were white supremacist university groups on campus hanging posters and stickers that were borderline racist, that if they were more direct in their message that they were to be "punched in the face" (he said this is in a somewhat gratifying tone). I was going to answer back that there could be university groups that indeed have a racist element to them, after all Penn St. has a student population of approx 99K, that there were bound to be bad eggs. But so what; they're probably in the minority. In the end their expression is protected under the 1st Amendment and that the person who acted on violence would ultimately be at the wrong end of the law and, more importantly, at the wrong end of virtue. In the end racists - real ones - are rejected by society at large. I'll remind you: my cousin is pursuing a doctorate yet he could not answer a seemingly simple question. He just projected (as w/ most of the cases that cried racism in the past few years).

EDIT: It strikes me ironic that when conservatives state different beliefs they are usually met with a mocking tone of "Where did you get that? Fox and Breitbart?" (w/ WSJ thrown in every now and then) from "progressives" when it's "progressives" who usually find their narratives from CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, WashPo, NYT, LA Times, HuffPo, NPR and BBC.

IP Logged

mahdo1
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #33 - 12/28/17 at 05:17:02
Print Post  
Wow.  I gotta say how much I love my sister!  We are totally in sync when it comes to politics.  Though our parents are Republicans, both my sister and I are far more conservative.  My bookshelf includes the works of Buckley and Rand.  Plus a little Orewell.
  We both grew up reading National Review but have graduated to The American Spectator.

Cordially,
David "The Mahdo One" Nelson

IP Logged

MoGal
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #34 - 12/28/17 at 07:44:28
Print Post  
There has been no politics discussed in our household, nor religion. The TV has not been on Fox. It hasn't made any difference. We gave up discussing even the smallest current event with her years ago, because she would tell us we were ignorant hillbillies brainwashed by Fox and stamp out of the room. So while she is here, we have a "no politics, no current events, no weather and no Fox rules".  Youngest is a big Trump fan and he was instructed not to mention that name and he has not. You can't win for losing.

IP Logged

Wayne
CF Global Moderator

carpe beer!

Reply #35 - 12/28/17 at 08:56:05
Print Post  
    That is sad.. I miss my brother and sister but we did not talk politics and we ran the gambit of outlooks..

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Reply #36 - 12/28/17 at 10:41:02
Print Post  
MoGal wrote on 12/28/17 at 07:44:28:
There has been no politics discussed in our household, nor religion.

I think that is a good rule of thumb to apply, unless of course,
someone is constantly throwing things in your face, then there
may be a need to remind them of this rule of thumb.

My family up North were Democratic.   Papa Byrd was a union
delegate (he worked for the IRS before his passing;;;;;;try living with THAT resentment!  Roll Eyes).  He met Hillary in Washington at some convention and laid claim as to how intelligent she was.   My sister is vehemently opposed to Trump.   Matter of fact, I think she'd kill him if she could get away with it.   Grin  j/k of course.

I sponsor a fella in the program.   He was a Hillary fan.  When we started to clash a bit over politics, we decided to not discuss politics any further.   I let him hold his views and he lets me hold mine.  My friendship with him is more valuable.  And my primary purpose is to help another achieve sobriety, not change their political views.  Sometimes there is a fine line to tread.  Wink

Mama Byrd is now in her 90's and beginning to forget things real  easy, so I'm not sure she even recalls her political views to be concerned with it.  Thankfully Mrs. Byrd is not a liberal at least.  I have to live with her.  Cheesy

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

MoGal
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #37 - 12/28/17 at 14:45:45
Print Post  
Thank you all for your stories. This has been the most difficult Christmas I have ever spent, but reading the tales of others made it a little more bearable.

We decided a few years ago to not watch Fox or any news channel while she is here, nor to discuss politics, weather or anything else. Unfortunately, it has not made a difference.

I took her to the airport this morning.  Nobody is sorry, I have to say.

IP Logged

NCGAL63
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #38 - 12/28/17 at 16:05:44
Print Post  
mikezpen wrote on 12/28/17 at 02:01:45:
When I get together w/my daughter and son-in-law we have an unwritten rule to not talk politics. My wife and I are Trump supporters and they and their friends are all college-educated millennials.Say no more.

Same goes with my family... Husband and I are Trump Supporters and Son and girlfriend just got out of college and have not been indoctrinated into the "real world" yet.... give them a few years and hopefully they will see the light !

But I did receive this in my email over the holidays and want to share... thought it was appropriate Smiley

To Democrat Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.
I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2018, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only "America" in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishes.

To Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

IP Logged

UCAV
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #39 - 12/28/17 at 17:31:04
Print Post  
NCGAL63 wrote on 12/28/17 at 16:05:44:
Same goes with my family... Husband and I are Trump Supporters and Son and girlfriend just got out of college and have not been indoctrinated into the "real world" yet.... give them a few years and hopefully they will see the light !

But I did receive this in my email over the holidays and want to share... thought it was appropriate Smiley

To Democrat Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.
I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2018, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only "America" in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishes.

To Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Grin Grin Grin

"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
"Gun control is one shot, one kill!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Christmas with a Liberal

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias