Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Are Full Service Gas Stations Coming Back?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Are Full Service Gas Stations Coming Back? (Read 1,266 times)
red hawk
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Are Full Service Gas Stations Coming Back?
04/12/18 at 01:06:12
Print Post  
It looks like that might be the case in South Fulton County, GA.
http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/

All glory is fleeting.
IP Logged

The Stranger
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: Are Full Service Gas Stations Coming Back?
Reply #1 - 04/12/18 at 07:58:37
Print Post  
Where will they find a real mechanic? Someone who can diagnose something without saying "The Computer Says".
I do have a pretty good old school mechanic who has made diagnoses above and beyond what the computer says and was right.
Anything is better then a dealer though, they just keep replacing things until the light goes out, been there done that!

Where's my RECIPROCITY???????
Every man is like the company he keeps."Show me your friends and I'll show you your Future"
They Repealed My II Amendment I had No Guns
They Disregarded My V Amendment I Was Innocent
They Violated My IV Amendment I Had Nothing To Hide
They Repealed My I Amendment "I COULD SAY NOTHING"

IP Logged

CO
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #2 - 04/12/18 at 08:02:12
Print Post  
They never left NJ. But I can't wait to. Wink

IP Logged

CO
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #3 - 04/12/18 at 08:05:44
Print Post  
The Stranger wrote on 04/12/18 at 07:58:37:
Where will they find a real mechanic? Someone who can diagnose something without saying "The Computer Says".
I do have a pretty good old school mechanic who has made diagnoses above and beyond what the computer says and was right.
Anything is better then a dealer though, they just keep replacing things until the light goes out, been there done that!

Best to hold on to him. Those mechanics are few and far between. Today half of these so called mechanics guess because they don't have the equipment to diagnose newer cars.

I don't like dealers either but on certain issues they are more informed because they deal with the same model cars each day so they know the idiosyncrasies. Naturally they overcharge and it depends on the dealer.

IP Logged

The Stranger
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #4 - 04/13/18 at 06:20:02
Print Post  
CO wrote on 04/12/18 at 08:05:44:
Best to hold on to him. Those mechanics are few and far between. Today half of these so called mechanics guess because they don't have the equipment to diagnose newer cars.

I don't like dealers either but on certain issues they are more informed because they deal with the same model cars each day so they know the idiosyncrasies. Naturally they overcharge and it depends on the dealer.

Had a Saturn for about 6-7 yrs and it rally was a great car all but for one or two times. After a yr or so the ole check engine light came on. With the Saturn's the computer stuff is available thru GM only and only certain dealers since they were forced to close. I went to the GM dealer about 40 miles away and he changed the crank sensor for nearly $300.00, light still on, then he changed some kind of vent damper in the fuel vent line, light still on and another $200.00. He then comes out and says well it's not what the computer says so we're just going to change some computer that MIGHT be giving wrong codes. Est nearly $400.00 for the part, $75.00 to program it, and $180 to install it. I asked him is this the problem and I get an I don't know. REALLY! I told him don't touch the car and I was leaving. I protested I shuldn't have to pay for a broken car that they aren't able to fix. He wouldn't give me my keys and called the law and I never even got loud.
$500.00 and still have the light on, went to the local guy and he said there is no after market computers for this car but he looked anyway. The first jackass who changed the sensor never plugged it in. He plugged it in and I took it to a dealer in SC to reset the computer and never a problem after that!
I wrote letters and called up the food chain but never even got a return letter or call.

Every man is like the company he keeps."Show me your friends and I'll show you your Future"

IP Logged

CO
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #5 - 04/13/18 at 07:19:57
Print Post  
The Stranger wrote on 04/13/18 at 06:20:02:
Had a Saturn for about 6-7 yrs and it rally was a great car all but for one or two times. After a yr or so the ole check engine light came on. With the Saturn's the computer stuff is available thru GM only and only certain dealers since they were forced to close. I went to the GM dealer about 40 miles away and he changed the crank sensor for nearly $300.00, light still on, then he changed some kind of vent damper in the fuel vent line, light still on and another $200.00. He then comes out and says well it's not what the computer says so we're just going to change some computer that MIGHT be giving wrong codes. Est nearly $400.00 for the part, $75.00 to program it, and $180 to install it. I asked him is this the problem and I get an I don't know. REALLY! I told him don't touch the car and I was leaving. I protested I shuldn't have to pay for a broken car that they aren't able to fix. He wouldn't give me my keys and called the law and I never even got loud.
$500.00 and still have the light on, went to the local guy and he said there is no after market computers for this car but he looked anyway. The first jackass who changed the sensor never plugged it in. He plugged it in and I took it to a dealer in SC to reset the computer and never a problem after that!
I wrote letters and called up the food chain but never even got a return letter or call.

I had to sell my daughter's brand new Ford Focus because of transmission issues that are documented all over he internet by others. It wasn't the dealer who refused to fix it but Ford itself would not reimburse them. Finally sold the car. It would shut down on the highway...very dangerous. Ford refused to do a recall even with videos people presented.

I had a top corporate guy tell me he owns one and they wouldn't fix his. I actually believe him since there was no reason to say that. He offered me another brand new car but it had to be another Focus. I refused. The problem wasn't hot or miss. Ford admitted that it would happen to all Focuses eventually. It was a two stage problem. First the seals go then the sputtering starts and the stalling. The story gets better. I had a garage tow it there with the codes. They say they can not fix it even with the codes unless they can duplicate the issue. That's the "new" excuse you get from many dealers today because they know that most problems are hard to duplicate on demand. More to it but too much to post here.

To this day Ford still refuses to fix others cars. I get letters from lawyers all the time asking to help file a claim. The car has been gone two years.

My point is sometimes it isn't so much the dealer as it is the corporate office. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not cheer-leading dealers but sometimes it's worth the extra cash if a problem is fixable and involves doing more than a local garage may be knowledgeable and equipped to do.

Reprogramming the car's computer is often something a garage can't do. Sadly when it comes to electronics there's a better chance the dealer will fix it than the local guy guessing and replacing part after part. Yes sometimes you get screwed anyway.  So much for improved technology.

My friend buys cars from the 60s and fixes them like new. He feels in the long run he gets his money's worth and can resell the car for more. No electronics to deal with.But...he can do his own refurbishing which is why it's cost effective for him to do that. He also works at a body shop. Cool

IP Logged

The Stranger
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #6 - 04/13/18 at 07:33:18
Print Post  
CO wrote on 04/13/18 at 07:19:57:
I had to sell my daughter's brand new Ford Focus because of transmission issues that are documented all over he internet by others. It wasn't the dealer who refused to fix it but Ford itself would not reimburse them. Finally sold the car. It would shut down on the highway...very dangerous. Ford refused to do a recall even with videos people presented.

I had a top corporate guy tell me he owns one and they wouldn't fix his. I actually believe him since there was no reason to say that. He offered me another brand new car but it had to be another Focus. I refused. The problem wasn't hot or miss. Ford admitted that it would happen to all Focuses eventually. It was a two stage problem. First the seals go then the sputtering starts and the stalling. The story gets better. I had a garage tow it there with the codes. They say they can not fix it even with the codes unless they can duplicate the issue. That's the "new" excuse you get from many dealers today because they know that most problems are hard to duplicate on demand. More to it but too much to post here.

To this day Ford still refuses to fix others cars. I get letters from lawyers all the time asking to help file a claim. The car has been gone two years.

My point is sometimes it isn't so much the dealer as it is the corporate office. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not cheer-leading dealers but sometimes it's worth the extra cash if a problem is fixable and involves doing more than a local garage may be knowledgeable and equipped to do.

Reprogramming the car's computer is often something a garage can't do. Sadly when it comes to electronics there's a better chance the dealer will fix it than the local guy guessing and replacing part after part. Yes sometimes you get screwed anyway.  So much for improved technology.

My friend buys cars from the 60s and fixes them like new. He feels in the long run he gets his money's worth and can resell the car for more. No electronics to deal with.But...he can do his own refurbishing which is why it's cost effective for him to do that. He also works at a body shop. Cool

Strange you mention a Ford. I had a 2000 Explorer and from the day I bought it it had transmission issues. On flat land shifted great but I live in the mountains. If you had the cruis set or didn't move the gas pedal you were good. But if you were going up a hill and had to let off the gas then hit the gas again it would bog to a stall, it wouldn't down shift unless you pulled over put it in park and started over. Three different dealers told me it was a torque converter problem, the thing was still brand new and they refused to repair it. ALL said the same thing, Ford admits a problem but refused to authorize repair. The same Explorer had computer issues. The car doors would lock and unlock by them self. Never fixed that either.

IP Logged

bigmck
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #7 - 04/13/18 at 09:02:07
Print Post  
The Stranger wrote on 04/13/18 at 07:33:18:
Strange you mention a Ford. I had a 2000 Explorer

I just got rid of my 2004 Ford Explorer.  It was reliable.  I had it for 13 years.  Near the end the Check Engine light would come on for a week or so and then go off for a week or so.  I had it fixed a few times, but near the end I didn't bother.  When the light went off, I got it inspected and fortunately the day I traded it in at Ford, the light was out.   Smiley  I got a Ford Escape this time.  The gas mileage is really good, 34/20.

IP Logged

CO
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #8 - 04/13/18 at 09:50:16
Print Post  
The Stranger wrote on 04/13/18 at 07:33:18:
Strange you mention a Ford. I had a 2000 Explorer and from the day I bought it it had transmission issues. On flat land shifted great but I live in the mountains. If you had the cruis set or didn't move the gas pedal you were good. But if you were going up a hill and had to let off the gas then hit the gas again it would bog to a stall, it wouldn't down shift unless you pulled over put it in park and started over. Three different dealers told me it was a torque converter problem, the thing was still brand new and they refused to repair it. ALL said the same thing, Ford admits a problem but refused to authorize repair. The same Explorer had computer issues. The car doors would lock and unlock by them self. Never fixed that either.

I have a mechanic in the family and he swears Ford makes crap. You always here about the great pickup trucks they make but usually they are older trucks or models with less electronics in them.

They knew about the bad trans for 2 years before they started using them in American cars. They failed in Europe but they had so many manufactured that they didn't care.

The bean-counters decided best to ignore the problem, deny it and play the odds that way they save money. No eye on the fact that they would lose future sales. Just "google" Ford Focus and Fiesta trans problems. You will spend days reading about documented cases with video and to this day Ford still uses the same trans and refuses to fix them. I believe there may finally be a class action pending but I don't follow it any longer. They were a nightmare to deal with.

They deny what is right in front of their faces. I have had Mazda, Toyota and Hyundai and I have no doubt they are superior made cars even with the one or two cases you may here about issues. Don't forget they make and sell more cars so naturally statistics can be made to say otherwise.

You can't give me an American car and one was. I traded it. When my father died I rec'd his brand new Impala. My father ignored all the things I found wrong with it. Once I had one thing repaired another would break. Then the warranty ended. I traded for a Hyundai Sonata to use as a third car. Have been to the dealer once since then and that was in 2013 and the only issue was a seat switch which they fixed free even though I was out of warranty. Try getting an American car company to do that.

It isn't that American cars companies can't match the quality. They just don't care and their overall quality control and customer service sucks. But I'm sure there are those who will tell and different story and swear by them.

To each his or her own. Wink

IP Logged

CO
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #9 - 04/13/18 at 09:58:11
Print Post  
bigmck wrote on 04/13/18 at 09:02:07:
I just got rid of my 2004 Ford Explorer.  It was reliable.  I had it for 13 years.  Near the end the Check Engine light would come on for a week or so and then go off for a week or so.  I had it fixed a few times, but near the end I didn't bother.  When the light went off, I got it inspected and fortunately the day I traded it in at Ford, the light was out.   Smiley  I got a Ford Escape this time.  The gas mileage is really good, 34/20.

I had a 2005 Mazda Tribute which was actually a Ford Escape. The Escape, Mariner and Tribute were all built by Ford back then. I have a few initial problems but while under warranty. I will say that truck was relatively problem free after the initial issues until the door switch that controlled the overhead light failed and the light would not go out. The hid the switch inside a welded part so the entire part was costly to replace. I traded it in and bought two Mazda CX-5s and so far I love the vehicles. One was for my daughter. My wife has a 2016 fully loaded Toyota Avalon Hybrid another car so far trouble free and it rides better than a Mercedes that we had and dumped. Too many electrical issues. The old Sonata is still running and I keep getting people asking me to sell it because it looks like the day I drove it home. I tend to baby my cars. Grin Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Are Full Service Gas Stations Coming Back?

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias