Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › If I Were President
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) If I Were President (Read 3,522 times)
Dayton3
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Re: If I Were President
Reply #20 - 10/19/18 at 15:30:34
Print Post  
ZeWazir wrote on 10/19/18 at 15:10:51:
So, let's start getting specific. Where are 500B in spending cuts going to take place? We can all talk about cutting spending to balance the budget, but those cuts have to be made in specific places or it's all just more campaign talk.

You know you could read the OP.

9) Reduction of the U.S. annual budget deficit
Will dramatically increase the amount of capital available for economic development in the United States. One of the Clinton Admin. key economic advisers said this was key (and inadvertent) in the large scale economic growth in the 1990s
Policy changes to reduce the federal budget deficit.  Amounts are over a ten year period
Reduce the federal workforce by not filling vacancies as workers retire. In 2015 the federal government employed 2.2 million civilian workers, excluding Postal Service employees. About 45 percent work in the Department of Defense and 15 percent in the Department of Homeland Security. The rest work in agencies providing a variety of public services, investigating crimes, collecting taxes, administering programs for the elderly, poor and disabled, and more. This option would reduce the number of federal civilian employees by 10 percent by allowing those agencies to hire no more than one employee for every three who retire. The president could exempt an agency under certain conditions such as a national security concern or an extraordinary emergency. Supporters of this change believe agencies could reduce unnecessary management positions while also eliminating services that are not cost-effective without hampering overall performance. Effect on deficit: -$50 billion. 
Eliminate or reduce funding for certain grants to state and local governments. Washington provided $624 billion in grants to state and local governments in 2015. Such grants redistribute resources among communities around the country, finance local projects that may have national benefits and encourage state and local policy experimentation. Although grant money goes to a wide variety of programs, the spending is concentrated in health care, income security, education and transportation. Some grant programs give state and local governments broad flexibility while other programs impose stringent conditions. Supporters say leaving the funding decisions to state and local governments will lead to a more efficient allocation of resources because they will weigh costs and benefits more carefully. . Effect on deficit: -$78 billion.
Expand access to child care program. The Child Care and Development Fund provides subsidies to some families below 200 percent of the poverty line (approximately $40,000 for a family of four) to purchase affordable child care. States administer the program using state resources and federal funding. This option would expand it cover all eligible families who want the subsidy -- an additional 1 million children by 2025. Supporters say investments in early childhood care are good for the economy in the long run because they set children up for success in later schooling and their careers. Opponents believe it is not the federal government’s responsibility to provide child care and that it should be left to parents and state governments. Effect on deficit: +$78 billion.
Establish a National Infrastructure Bank to support road improvement. The National Infrastructure Bank (I-Bank) would provide loans and grants to private entities to support individual projects. The politically independent board of directors would determine the worth of projects. The I-Bank would be data-driven in measuring which projects offer the biggest value. Supporters say this funding methodology would be a substantial improvement from current practice, which often results in the funding of projects solely because of a particular legislator’s power in Congress or a state’s population. The private sector would choose the projects for in

IP Logged

Dayton3
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #21 - 10/19/18 at 15:31:51
Print Post  
ZeWazir wrote on 10/19/18 at 15:10:51:
So, let's start getting specific. Where are 500B in spending cuts going to take place? We can all talk about cutting spending to balance the budget, but those cuts have to be made in specific places or it's all just more campaign talk.

You know you could read the OP.

9) Reduction of the U.S. annual budget deficit
Will dramatically increase the amount of capital available for economic development in the United States. One of the Clinton Admin. key economic advisers said this was key (and inadvertent) in the large scale economic growth in the 1990s
Policy changes to reduce the federal budget deficit.  Amounts are over a ten year period
Reduce the federal workforce by not filling vacancies as workers retire. In 2015 the federal government employed 2.2 million civilian workers, excluding Postal Service employees. About 45 percent work in the Department of Defense and 15 percent in the Department of Homeland Security. The rest work in agencies providing a variety of public services, investigating crimes, collecting taxes, administering programs for the elderly, poor and disabled, and more. This option would reduce the number of federal civilian employees by 10 percent by allowing those agencies to hire no more than one employee for every three who retire. The president could exempt an agency under certain conditions such as a national security concern or an extraordinary emergency. Supporters of this change believe agencies could reduce unnecessary management positions while also eliminating services that are not cost-effective without hampering overall performance. Effect on deficit: -$50 billion. 
Eliminate or reduce funding for certain grants to state and local governments. Washington provided $624 billion in grants to state and local governments in 2015. Such grants redistribute resources among communities around the country, finance local projects that may have national benefits and encourage state and local policy experimentation. Although grant money goes to a wide variety of programs, the spending is concentrated in health care, income security, education and transportation. Some grant programs give state and local governments broad flexibility while other programs impose stringent conditions. Supporters say leaving the funding decisions to state and local governments will lead to a more efficient allocation of resources because they will weigh costs and benefits more carefully. . Effect on deficit: -$78 billion.

IP Logged

Dayton3
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #22 - 10/19/18 at 15:33:45
Print Post  
Eliminate Affordable Care Act subsidies for those earning between 300 and 400 percent of the federal poverty level. The Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare) allows individuals and families to purchase private health insurance coverage through health insurance exchanges or “marketplaces.” Those with certain income levels (roughly between 130 percent of the federal poverty level and 400 percent) are eligible for tax credits to cover portions of their premiums, and they can receive additional subsidies to reduce out-of-pocket cost sharing expenses. In 2013, 300 percent of the poverty level represented incomes of $34,470 for an individual, $46,530 for a couple, and $70,650 for a family of four. This option would cap the income level at which premium subsidies were available at 300 percent of the federal poverty level. Supporters say that employers will offer better alternatives than the options available on the exchanges, meaning that this change would reduce the deficit without necessarily increasing the number of uninsured.  Effect on deficit: -$109 billion
Add a “public plan” to the Affordable Care Act health insurance exchanges. This option will create a government-run insurance plan to compete with private plans. The public plan would charge premiums to fully offset its costs. The plan’s payments to providers would be about 5 percent higher than Medicare pays but lower than what private insurance plans often pay. This will allow the federal plan to charge lower premiums and thus reduce government spending on insurance subsidies. Supporters say a public plan, not driven by a profit motive, would force other insurers to compete honestly and increase their efficiency. The Congressional Budget Office estimates this would lower premiums and encourage more than 1.5 million additional people to join the exchanges.  Effect on deficit: -$158 billion.
Limit malpractice awards. This option would impose nationwide standards on malpractice lawsuits limiting non-economic (“pain and suffering”) damages to $250,000. Punitive damages would be limited to $500,000 or twice the amount of the economic damages incurred, whichever is greater. The statute of limitations on malpractice lawsuits would be one year for adults and three years for children (from the date of discovery of injuries). Supporters say limiting malpractice lawsuits would reduce the overall cost of health care, a major driver of projected deficits in the coming decades. . Effect on deficit: -$64 billion.

IP Logged

Dayton3
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #23 - 10/19/18 at 15:36:01
Print Post  
Provide seniors with “premium support” to purchase private health insurance. In this option, people who turn 65 could leave traditional fee-for-service Medicare and receive a fixed dollar amount to purchase private health insurance on an insurance exchange. Savings would arise because the federal contribution would be smaller than under the current, traditional Medicare program. Given the assumed influx of seniors into the private market, this policy option could increase private sector competition and bring down insurance plan costs. Supporters say this option could ease some of the financial pressure on Medicare while also giving seniors more flexibility than standard Medicare. Effect on deficit: -$61 billion.
“Bundle” Medicare’s payments to health care providers. Currently, Medicare payments are made primarily through a fee-for-service system, with separate payments for each office visit, lab test, surgical procedure, etc. delivered by providers. This creates incentives for providers to deliver unnecessary services. This policy option would provide for bundled payments to cover all services delivered during the course of a patient’s treatment over a defined period of time and would be based on the disease and average treatment costs.  Supporters say this would encourage providers to hold down costs and coordinate care to avoid complications.  Effect on deficit: -$47 billion.
Raise premiums for Medicare Parts B and D to cover 35 percent of program costs. Medicare Part B’s Supplementary Medicare Insurance Program offers coverage for physician and hospital outpatient services. Part D (started in 2006) offers prescription drug coverage. Benefits for the programs are partially funded from monthly premiums paid by enrollees. General federal revenues pay for the rest. Although the Part B premium was initially intended to cover 50 percent of the cost of benefits, that share has greatly declined because premiums were not allowed to increase at the same rate as benefits. Currently, beneficiaries pay only 25 percent of Part B program costs. Part D was set so that premiums cover about 25.5 percent of per-capita costs. Over five years, this budget option would raise the premiums that enrollees pay to 35 percent of the programs’ costs. Supporters say that even under this option, the public subsidy for most beneficiaries would be greater than intended when the programs began.  Effect on deficit: -$331 billion.
Cap the federal Medicaid contribution to states. Washington and state governments currently share the costs of the Medicaid program, which provides health insurance primarily to low-income families with dependent children, the elderly and the disabled. The share of federal support ranges from 51 percent to 80 percent of costs, depending on state income and how many individuals got coverage from the Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act. Under current law, almost all of the federal funding is provided on an open-ended basis. This means that increases in the number of enrollees or in costs per enrollee automatically generate more federal payments to states. This option would cap the amount a state would get. States would get more support if enrollees increased, while the amount per-person would go up every year to keep pace with overall inflation. Since medical costs tend to increase faster than general inflation, this would lead to much less federal financial support over time. Supporters say that capping federal spending would give states more responsibility for managing health spending.  Effect on deficit: -$577 billion.
Increase the maximum taxable earnings cap on the Social Security payroll tax. Social Security is largely financed by a payroll tax on employees, employers and the self-employed. Only earnings up to a specified maximum, however, are subject to the tax. That maximum, which was $118,500 in 2016, automatically increases each year by the growth of av

IP Logged

17Oaks
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #24 - 10/19/18 at 20:01:59
Print Post  
I read it and I read every word, has nothing else to do for about 30 min while I waited on a fone call to come in.

A block of Swiss Cheese is how I would describe your piece, I love Swiss but it does have holes in it.

I will tell you that there is more than enough meat there to make a Govt employee drool all over himself.  It's a create work outline for the Govt and that would be all the justification they needed to start a hiring binge.

Life is complicated, lets make this simple:

Housing and Urban Development      
Transportation
Energy      
Health and Human Services      
Education      
Homeland Security

GONE!

Effective 1 Oct 10% of all the govt except DoD lays off 10% of its workforce.

1 year later another 10% is gone effective 1 Oct

Phase out ALL Taxes, not just income taxes over a time frame of 8 years by implementing a VAT Tax or Sales Tax (known as the Fair Tax system) , what ever you want to call it.  Tax all final user sales.  Food, prescription meds based upon the Texas/Florida model.  Some items such as homes are not taxed on the first amount of money that an average home in the US costs based upon sq footage.  For the working poor a monthly rebate is provided based upon the last years income up to the national average for your family size.  Average income for a family of 4 = $40k, then you are rebated monthly your estimated VAT tax you would have paid.  This continues to be paid until you reach ½ of the average + your gross income.  At the $40k level you would be phased out at $60k.

Income tax + Fair Tax = Gross amount of Federal revenue but not more than.

The devil is in the details and none of the above as it applies to the Fair Tax is set in stone, but you get the drift of how it would work

That is what I would do...

Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

IP Logged

Dayton3
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #25 - 10/31/18 at 21:37:59
Print Post  
Mark Levin in his recent book had a great idea.

Eliminate taxes being withheld from paychecks.   People should have to write out a check of their own (or its modern equivalent) directly to the federal government. 

He felt it would radically change how taxpayers saw the issue of taxation.

IP Logged

17Oaks
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #26 - 10/31/18 at 22:03:20
Print Post  
Dayton3 wrote on 10/31/18 at 21:37:59:
Mark Levin in his recent book had a great idea.

Eliminate taxes being withheld from paychecks.   People should have to write out a check of their own (or its modern equivalent) directly to the federal government. 

He felt it would radically change how taxpayers saw the issue of taxation.

True and false as the same time.  Few have the smarts or mindset that would allow them to put away the money, thus the IRS would become the biggest agency in the US and make the Nazi police state look take as they collected monies...

Don:  Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

IP Logged

MoGal
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #27 - 10/31/18 at 22:11:25
Print Post  
This...about no withholding. I am self-employed. The hurt is much deeper when you are making quarterly payments to Uncle Sam, rather than having it withheld.  I agree with this entirely. And if the fools don't figure it out the first year, they sure will by the second.

IP Logged

bigmck
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #28 - 10/31/18 at 22:35:42
Print Post  
Starting in August of this year, we don't have a mortgage payment any more.  Our home insurance was paid for the next 12 months through the escrow account last  May.  Now each month we are having to put away the insurance payment so we can pay the insurance again in May.  It is very different when you have to put the money aside as you would with income tax.  It takes a lot of discipline and you see how much money it actually is.  ==  The IRS would have to drastically increase their Collection Force if they did this.  Some people can't put aside next months rent.
« Last Edit: 11/01/18 at 07:36:39 by bigmck »  

IP Logged

Canis Minor
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #29 - 11/01/18 at 07:34:33
Print Post  
The President does not hold absolute God-like power. Wanting to do something as President is one thing, actually being able to do it is quite another thing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › If I Were President

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias