Conservatives Forum.com The #1 Conservatives Forum on Google.com
Conservative News and Discussion Forum. Home of the Sisterhood Of the Sacred Skillet of Justice.
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Page 2 - Page 3 - CF Forums - Conservative News Source - Newsmax TV
Constitutional Issues - Candidates Action - Economy - Talk Radio Conservative News - Conservatives Directory
Sports - Health - Poetry - Entertainment - Cook, Crafts - Activists Forum - Conservative Activist - CF Chat
Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Hurricane Dorian targeting Central Florida.....
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hurricane Dorian targeting Central Florida..... (Read 4,619 times)
WAlt
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Hurricane Dorian targeting Central Florida .....
Reply #20 - 08/30/19 at 20:33:06
Print Post  
Lily003 wrote on 08/30/19 at 19:52:49:
Are you all going to leave if you think it will affect you?

Lily003  Embarrassed

No way. I'm staying put. No chance of any flooding where I am. I'm far inland. In fact, I'm about equal distance between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. I leave on (partially) what they call the Lake Wales Ridge. This ridge is just over 100 miles long and up to 10 miles wide, right down the spine of central Florida. I live near the southern end of the ridge. This ridge was the only part of peninsula Florida that was above water 10s of thousands of years ago. Flooding is rare on the ridge.

I have a 10 HP generator that's big enough to give me the basics in case our power goes out.

I'm hoping Dorian makes it's northward turn and doesn't make landfall. Short of that, I hope Dorian makes landfall north of me, as that way I will be on the weak side of the eye. Still, it won't be no picnic!

IP Logged

muffin
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #21 - 08/30/19 at 20:36:58
Print Post  
WAlt wrote on 08/30/19 at 20:33:06:
No way. I'm staying put. No chance of any flooding where I am. I'm far inland. In fact, I'm about equal distance between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. I leave on (partially) what they call the Lake Wales Ridge. This ridge is just over 100 miles long and up to 10 miles wide, right down the spine of central Florida. I live near the southern end of the ridge. This ridge was the only part of peninsula Florida that was above water 10s of thousands of years ago. Flooding is rare on the ridge.

I have a 10 HP generator that's big enough to give me the basics in case our power goes out.

I'm hoping Dorian makes it's northward turn and doesn't make landfall. Short of that, I hope Dorian makes landfall north of me, as that way I will be on the weak side of the eye. Still, it won't be no picnic!

…..can we come stay with you? Undecided

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Re: Hurricane Dorian targeting Central Florida.....
Reply #22 - 08/30/19 at 21:02:34
Print Post  
Hurricane Dorian now a Cat 4 — but might hug coast instead of directly hitting Florida

https://nypost.com/2019/08/30/hurricane-dorian-might-hug-coast-instead-of-direct...

Sure would be nice if that's what happens!  This waiting is not much fun, is it?  Undecided

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

FlaOkie
CF Vice Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #23 - 08/30/19 at 21:52:28
Print Post  
We've been through a few of these things in the 18 years we've been in SW Florida.
And you are  right – the waiting is the worst part, and this one appears to be taking its time.
I'm not going to put up the shutters, but I did go out and got gas for the generator today.
Even though we are on the west coast, there is a good chance we will lose electric for awhile.

IP Logged

bonnieblue
CF Presidents Club

God Bless Texas

Reply #24 - 08/30/19 at 22:05:47
Print Post  
Well, prayers up for all you folks in Florida. Hoping and praying for the best for all of you....... Wink

IP Logged

WAlt
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - 08/31/19 at 05:53:03
Print Post  
muffin wrote on 08/30/19 at 20:36:58:
…..can we come stay with you? Undecided

LOL! Well, many models are now forecasting Dorian not making landfall at all, but turning and staying off shore! I'm feeling a great sense of relief now. Check the center of the cone at NOAA's 5 a.m. (8-31-99) advisory.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/090017.shtml?cone#contents

IP Logged

WAlt
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - 08/31/19 at 06:40:32
Print Post  
Yesterday all our local gas stations had run dry of all gas and diesel. But my dear wife called around that these same stations last night, and they said they would be getting over night deliveries.

Our local Raceway gas station opened at 5 a.m. We got up early and filled up our pick up truck and four five gallon gas cans (actually one was a 6 gallon size). Now I have 41 gallons of reserve cans in jugs.  If Dorian turns I may not need any of the gas. Hence, I will just dump them in our vehicles, what I don't use in my lawn tractors.

One might question all the reserve gasoline I have, but I needed ever bit of it and more during Hurricane Irma, when we went without power for five days. At that, I had to use my gas sparingly, running my generator for 1-2 hours, shutting it off 2 hours, then running again, etc. My wife has 10 fish aquariums, some with special heat requirements (so tank electric tank heaters were critical). Plus we have two refrigerators and one freezer well stocked. We didn't want to lose everything like we did in past hurricanes.

Below is a YouTube video I made about a year later after Hurricane Irma. I'm a back yard palm and tropical plant gardener, growing about 75+ species of palms, plus numerous species of exotic trees and plants.

Needless to say, Irma almost totally wrecked my garden. The video documents the aftermath of Irma. Other than having a local tree company cut away one palm that fell across my driveway, I totally cut up, raked and cleaned up, hauled by pick up truck and lawn tractor pull cart the debris to the road for county pick up, plus what I burned up, etc., all the damage and debris you see in my video. It took me 4-5 months, working 3-5 hours a day to do it. Needless to say, I don't want to have to go through such a monumental task ordeal again!

IP Logged

Gabriele
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #27 - 08/31/19 at 08:18:09
Print Post  
WAlt wrote on 08/31/19 at 06:40:32:
Yesterday all our local gas stations had run dry of all gas and diesel. But my dear wife called around that these same stations last night, and they said they would be getting over night deliveries.

Our local Raceway gas station opened at 5 a.m. We got up early and filled up our pick up truck and four five gallon gas cans (actually one was a 6 gallon size). Now I have 41 gallons of reserve cans in jugs.  If Dorian turns I may not need any of the gas. Hence, I will just dump them in our vehicles, what I don't use in my lawn tractors.

One might question all the reserve gasoline I have, but I needed ever bit of it and more during Hurricane Irma, when we went without power for five days. At that, I had to use my gas sparingly, running my generator for 1-2 hours, shutting it off 2 hours, then running again, etc. My wife has 10 fish aquariums, some with special heat requirements (so tank electric tank heaters were critical). Plus we have two refrigerators and one freezer well stocked. We didn't want to lose everything like we did in past hurricanes.

Below is a YouTube video I made about a year later after Hurricane Irma. I'm a back yard palm and tropical plant gardener, growing about 75+ species of palms, plus numerous species of exotic trees and plants.

Needless to say, Irma almost totally wrecked my garden. The video documents the aftermath of Irma. Other than having a local tree company cut away one palm that fell across my driveway, I totally cut up, raked and cleaned up, hauled by pick up truck and lawn tractor pull cart the debris to the road for county pick up, plus what I burned up, etc., all the damage and debris you see in my video. It took me 4-5 months, working 3-5 hours a day to do it. Needless to say, I don't want to have to go through such a monumental task ordeal again!

That about broke my heart seeing all those trees you raised since babies gone.  Sad

IP Logged

Canis Minor
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #28 - 08/31/19 at 09:45:54
Print Post  
News just said Dorian appears to be turning more to the north. However, does that now mean North East FL, GA and SC are in danger? Surely, someplace is going to receive landfall? I'm praying that no one gets nailed too badly by this one.

IP Logged

WAlt
CF Presidents Club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - 08/31/19 at 11:10:09
Print Post  
Gabriele wrote on 08/31/19 at 08:18:09:
That about broke my heart seeing all those trees you raised since babies gone.  Sad

It's my hobby. Hurricane Jeanne back in 2004 (I think, was bad), but Hurricane Irma caused more damage as I had much more and bigger trees and palms for the wind's pressure to act on. My garden has totally recovered now. I hope it stays that way!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Hurricane Dorian targeting Central Florida.....

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias