Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Chicago teachers strike
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Chicago teachers strike (Read 1,686 times)
Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: Chicago teachers strike
Reply #20 - 10/18/19 at 11:32:21
Print Post  

To a certain extent, I am playing the devil’s advocate.   The school system doesn’t work and throwing more and more money at the problem won’t change the end result.   Yes, parents should be involved, but that isn’t going to happen.  Heck!  They can’t even feed their own kids.  So, revamp the entire system and start over.  As it stands right now, the school system is a failed disaster and these kids are the future of our country.   They need to learn to think critically and how to find and interpret information.   A high school or college student who regurgitates pablum with no thought or reason wastes vital resources.

IP Logged

Hellsbane
Leading CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #21 - 10/18/19 at 11:38:45
Print Post  
Chortovka wrote on 10/18/19 at 11:32:21:
To a certain extent, I am playing the devil’s advocate.   The school system doesn’t work and throwing more and more money at the problem won’t change the end result.   Yes, parents should be involved, but that isn’t going to happen.  Heck!  They can’t even feed their own kids.  So, revamp the entire system and start over.  As it stands right now, the school system is a failed disaster and these kids are the future of our country.   They need to learn to think critically and how to find and interpret information.   A high school or college student who regurgitates pablum with no thought or reason wastes vital resources. 

It is failing because the system has become more about indoctrination than education. When I was a kid if we skipped out of school to protest, we did so with the understanding we were going to be expelled. If a teacher even dared consider encouraging her class students to skip school and protest, he/she would have been fired. Compare that to today.

IP Logged

FreedomRings
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #22 - 10/18/19 at 11:44:53
Print Post  
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2016/7/21/18379539/half-of-cps-teachers-virtually-i...
Quote:
“teacher evaluation is critically important, but in a massive bureaucracy with a hostile union, where 50% of principals are managerially incompetent and half of teachers are virtually illiterate, a complex multi-dimensional evaluation system with huge subjectivity in it will be attacked, manipulated and marginalized – the status quo will prevail,”

https://californiapolicycenter.org/karen-lewis-and-chicagos-illiteracy-problem/
Quote:
Courtesy of Daniel Greenfield, we are reminded of the ugly fact that almost half of Chicago is illiterate. According to the White House website, 47 percent of Windy City residents cannot read. Additionally, 79 percent of its 8th graders are not proficient in reading and 80 percent are not proficient in math.

http://performancepyramid.miamioh.edu/node/1046
Quote:
75% of Americans who receive food stamps perform at the lowest 2 levels of literacy, and 90% of high school dropouts are on welfare.

https://chalkbeat.org/posts/chicago/2018/12/11/hes-16-and-struggling-to-read-in-...
Quote:
How Javion became a high school student reading at the second-grade level is impossible to say for sure. But multiple forces play a role: Intergenerational poverty and violence abetted by segregation and disinvestment that have strangled opportunities for black families in neighborhoods on the South and West Sides. Underperforming schools concentrated in underserved communities. A special education system that avoided serving students. A patchwork approach to literacy instruction.

Last time they striked, many of the teachers interview didn't actually know why when questioned.

No excuse for kids actually going to school to still be 2nd grade level of reading in high school.  There are many variables, but this is a teaching FAIL.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #23 - 10/18/19 at 11:49:01
Print Post  
Hellsbane wrote on 10/18/19 at 11:38:45:
It is failing because the system has become more about indoctrination than education. When I was a kid if we skipped out of school to protest, we did so with the understanding we were going to be expelled. If a teacher even dared consider encouraging her class students to skip school and protest, he/she would have been fired. Compare that to today.

That’s part of the problem ... teachers spew garbage; often, their own personal opinion and because kids don’t know how to think or reason on their own, they regurgitate. 

Yes, schools were stricter waaaaaaay back when, had higher expectations, and parents remained involved.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #24 - 10/18/19 at 11:51:32
Print Post  
Nox wrote on 10/17/19 at 08:40:12:
Instruction does not equate to learning.  Learning is something you WANT to do.  The question is … how much WANT do the chickago thugs have?

They don’t need to learn.   They can remain on the government dole the rest of their lives and bring another 3-4-5 welfare babies into the world.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #25 - 10/18/19 at 11:54:52
Print Post  
Lily003 wrote on 10/17/19 at 03:01:39:
Here we go again on this merry-go-round.

What tweaked me about the story was that they would keep the schools open so KIDS COULD GET SOMETHING TO EAT.  And that they would have a place to go.  I am NOT for any child going hungry.  However, those that "qualify" for "free" school food are usually also getting food stamps.  So no excuse for not feeding them.  Last I checked, schools are not responsible for child care either.

I guess they need a lot more money because they have to have pregnancy care, child care, and all sorts of social services.  I graduated a Chicago Public School in a class of 700 with ONE pregnancy.  The issues are not money, they are social.  Maybe class size is relevant.  I am so sick of hearing about my home town like this.

https://apnews.com/fe67b0cad7a94047a50c4bc21d9b82d1

Lily003   Huh

I was a young adult before the invention of birth control pills and my high school graduating class had one pregnancy.   Today, they hand birth control pills and condoms out like candy and there’s a spike in pregnancies.   Go figure...

IP Logged

Hellsbane
Leading CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #26 - 10/18/19 at 11:56:11
Print Post  
Chortovka wrote on 10/18/19 at 11:51:32:
They don’t need to learn.   They can remain on the government dole the rest of their lives and bring another 3-4-5 welfare babies into the world. 

People who can't learn or don't want to learn should not be in the same school as those who can and do want to learn. Some of those should not even be allowed in any school, period. They only pollute the system and drag down those who are genuinely trying.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #27 - 10/18/19 at 11:57:30
Print Post  
Hellsbane wrote on 10/18/19 at 11:56:11:
People who can't learn or don't want to learn should not be in the same school as those who can and do want to learn. Some of those should not even be allowed in any school, period. They only pollute the system and drag down those who are genuinely trying.

Totally agree.   But what we do with them?   Leave them on the street corner to be supported by tax dollars?

IP Logged

DEW MIST
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #28 - 10/18/19 at 11:58:14
Print Post  

In those days people had self-respect and common sense and GOD.

DEW

IP Logged

Hellsbane
Leading CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #29 - 10/18/19 at 12:04:31
Print Post  
Chortovka wrote on 10/18/19 at 11:57:30:
Totally agree.   But what we do with them?   Leave them on the street corner to be supported by tax dollars?   

Some efforts should be made, just not in the same educational evironment as those trying. Put them through remedial classes to teach them the basics and/or try them out in other endeavors, like shops or something where they can learn useful skills. If that does not work, then leave them to the ignorant thug life they obviously prefer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › Chicago teachers strike

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias