Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › "Prepping." A lifestyle or a fad?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Prepping." A lifestyle or a fad? (Read 205 times)
Kentucky_Patriot
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

"Prepping." A lifestyle or a fad?
11/07/19 at 03:45:07
Print Post  
A few years ago, television shows about "preppers" were easy to find.  It seemed that the sky was falling, and everyone was digging in and preparing or "prepping" for the zombie apocalypse.

It seems to have died off, yet I do know preppers today, and I must confess, I have more than a twelve-pack of toilet paper in the closet, and some other things that are quite frankly nobody's business.

With Mr. Trump in the White House, prepping has taken a back burner to other priorities, but are we REALLY out of the woods with respect to what the world would be like with a President Hillary, or Warren, or Sanders, or Michelle O. in the Oval Office?

ARE you / WERE you a prepper?  Do you have an obscene amount of (insert any barter items here)?  Have you stocked up on this and that, or did you make it through the "prepper craze" relying completely on your ability to get what you need at any time from the local Big Box Stores? 

I am a bit more relaxed at the moment, with Mr. Trump at the helm, but society is ONLY polite and civil because the liberals have not grabbed that golden ring from the carousel YET.  All it will take to create anarchy is some life-changing event like a presidential assassination, or a far LEFT majority in all three houses, or a Yellowstone eruption, or any of a thousand other powder kegs going off.

What is your advice?  Do I sell off the surplus items at a flea market, and risk being caught off guard in the event of a real emergency?   Undecided  Do I hold onto these things and let my heirs laugh hysterically at their "inheritance"?   Everything I have is either an item that can be sold or used to barter for something else, and there is a supply of long term food storage within my reach as well.

"Say ... you have that nice running air conditioner, and I have this awesome AR15 rifle and a BIG box of ammo for it.  Let's talk ..."

When it comes to liberals, no, we CANNOT all just get along.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Re: "Prepping." A lifestyle or a fad?
Reply #1 - 11/07/19 at 04:03:59
Print Post  

For some, it’s a lifestyle.   For some, it may be a fad.   And, for others, well, they left the country and became ex-pats someplace else.

I’ve heard it takes only two days to empty the shelves in a grocery store. I’ve never been a prepper, but I detest shopping so I always bought A LOT when I shopped.   At any one time, I could probably feed myself for a month, maybe more, which in the scheme of things, isn’t very long.   If life got that bad, I’d be concerned about prescriptions.  I’m fortunate because I don’t take ... and, don’t have to take ... anything, but for those who do ...

I’ve read that the best things to barter are pints of whiskey, gin, etc., and packs of cigarettes.  In KC, I lived in a very nice neighborhood, but honestly?  We’re not that far from the dividing line that separates civility from the black thug mentality and criminality.  It would be ugly.

IP Logged

Kentucky_Patriot
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #2 - 11/07/19 at 04:31:51
Print Post  
Chortovka wrote on 11/07/19 at 04:03:59:
I’ve read that the best things to barter are pints of whiskey, gin, etc., and packs of cigarettes. 

My thinking is, stock up on items that cannot expire, and hold onto them.  In a broken economy where you cannot run to Walgreens for your needs, what do you think a tube of athlete's foot cream might be worth on a hot summer day? What about deodorant?  Toothpaste?  Toilet paper?  Roll Eyes

Canned foods have a short shelf life, so stocking up on them is fine IF you are regularly going to use and replenish your supply with new cans.  I tossed several COSTCO size bottles of catsup out a while ago after inspecting them to find dark nearly black gooey liquid inside, in bottles that expired seven years ago.

With the exception of long term food storage in the form of 25-year shelf life items, most food items have a shelf life of a year or two.  If you haven't consumed them by then, it is best to throw them out.  I even dumped gallons of fabric softener after learning that it has a shelf life of about 16 months.  It was a great deal when I purchased them, but not so great when I had to dump 90% of my stock as thick blue lumps of soft rubber.

So there is more to "prepping" than just buying quantities of things.  You have to plan for long term storage of the items, OR continuous use and replenishment of your supply until you can no longer BUY those items because the economy crashed.

IP Logged

Chortovka
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #3 - 11/07/19 at 04:38:02
Print Post  
Kentucky_Patriot wrote on 11/07/19 at 04:31:51:
My thinking is, stock up on items that cannot expire, and hold onto them.  In a broken economy where you cannot run to Walgreens for your needs, what do you think a tube of athlete's foot cream might be worth on a hot summer day? What about deodorant?  Toothpaste?  Toilet paper?  Roll Eyes

Canned foods have a short shelf life, so stocking up on them is fine IF you are regularly going to use and replenish your supply with new cans.  I tossed several COSTCO size bottles of catsup out a while ago after inspecting them to find dark nearly black gooey liquid inside, in bottles that expired seven years ago.

With the exception of long term food storage in the form of 25-year shelf life items, most food items have a shelf life of a year or two.  If you haven't consumed them by then, it is best to throw them out.  I even dumped gallons of fabric softener after learning that it has a shelf life of about 16 months.  It was a great deal when I purchased them, but not so great when I had to dump 90% of my stock as thick blue lumps of soft rubber.

So there is more to "prepping" than just buying quantities of things.  You have to plan for long term storage of the items, OR continuous use and replenishment of your supply until you can no longer BUY those items because the economy crashed.

Yes, I’ve read enough books to understand how it works and what needs to be done.  I’m not a prepper, just someone who hates to shop.  Although, at this rate, it’s probably something I should consider.

IP Logged

Nyte_Byrd
CF Presidents Club

Talk Is Cheep

Reply #4 - 11/07/19 at 05:44:35
Print Post  
I always stay stocked up.  I use discount coupons and buy in quantity on best sales.  I don't wait until I'm out of something before I write it down on a shopping list.  We have shelves out in the garage with backup supplies.  Can't say it is done with 'prepping' intentions though.  Just like to stay stocked up.  Smiley

If You're Here To Teach, Then You've Much To Learn

IP Logged

IIIPercent
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #5 - 11/07/19 at 07:54:47
Print Post  
Lifestyle

The deeper you get into the country side out here the more you will find real preppers, serious, and sometimes I am cautious around them.

The way i grew up, i don't trust anyone.  They run the spectrum  just like right of center to far right.

Never met one who was  left of center, especially far left. Must be some, I just never met one (to my knowledge).

Definately a lifestyle and the ones I know are careful who they tell. If the SHTF evey one is going to become savage  in steps  if it gets real bad. Get savage or get ...

Every undesirable is going to make their way to this country if they can and  figure it out for yourself and your own preparing.

For that matter every undesirable will try to make their way to the country side and think there is food and water and simple folk out here.

I don't know what to tell people who have a hope and try to trek this way.

I think areas out here will form militias immediately , set up sentries and have orders from the local PD or sheriff how to deal with "STUFF".
Anyway, lots of speculation, tell you this though, think for a few minutes what would be worth trading for goods and services... Cigarettes, toilet paper, bullets, lead, silver, dried food, meds, the list is endless. Self defense if  tantamount to survival.

I'm singing to the choir aren't I Wink

IP Logged

FreedomRings
Senior CF Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #6 - 11/07/19 at 08:02:02
Print Post  
  It will be just like walking dead only thugs instead of zombies.

IP Logged

Kentucky_Patriot
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #7 - 11/07/19 at 12:25:00
Print Post  
FreedomRings wrote on 11/07/19 at 08:02:02:
  It will be just like walking dead only thugs instead of zombies.

EXACTLY!  We are already seeing The Walking Dead in Antifa, and Portland etc., and the hoards of liberals who prepare for NOTHING but expect to be entitled to EVERYTHING in the event of a crisis.  This, in a GOOD economy.

Imagine what veracious animals they will become, when they can't walk into a store to buy their daily supplies.  We WILL get to the point where 20 feet is as close as a "stranger" will be able to get to you before you shoot them dead.  Sad

IP Logged

Obilivious Maxinus
CF Presidents Club

Conservative's Forum

Reply #8 - 11/07/19 at 12:43:08
Print Post  
As someone who has always been a prepper this is not new to me. It started out as a kid living out in the middle of no where and the closest town maybe 50 miles away. Being prepared carried over into my adult life.  I like the freeze dried foods that will last 25 years and like most preppers I do not keep it all in one place. The old Foxfire books were a good starting point for new preppers. I would also add most medical products for animals work just as well on humans. Not that any of this will do someone living in the city any good, a few might make it out before being killed by rowing gangs, fires or whatever.  I REALLY hope America never gets to this point.

IP Logged

Kentucky_Patriot
CF Full Member

Conservative's Forum

Reply #9 - 11/07/19 at 12:48:05
Print Post  
Obilivious Maxinus wrote on 11/07/19 at 12:43:08:
I REALLY hope America never gets to this point.

I am of two minds on that.

The 61-year-old present day me says, everyone just chill and lets get through the day without any drama.

The 21-year-old physically fit smarter than the average bear in the prime of my life me says,  BRING IT!  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Conservative's ForumConservative's Discussion ForumsConservative News Forum › "Prepping." A lifestyle or a fad?

ConservativesForum.com
CF Forums
The NCO Club - Military Forum - Constitutional Issues - Political Polls - Candidates Action - Economy
Conservative News Sources Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin forums
Political Activism, Strategy, Blogs - Conservative Sites - Games - Sports - Health - Poetry - Cooking - Library
Gun Rights - Conspiracy Theories - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5

Conservatives Directory
conservative sites:
Daily Caller
Newsmax
Drudge Report
Sean Hannity Show
Rush Limbaugh
The American Thinker
Breitbart News
FrontPage Magazine
Right Bias